Year 5’s Class Page
Welcome to Year 5’s class page featuring all the latest news that is happening in our class at Moat Primary Academy! Our class teacher is Mr O’Connell and our teaching assistant is Mrs Calderwood. This term we are learning about the following curriculum areas:
- English – We are studying the entitled ‘Shackleton’s Journey’ by William Grill. Our learning will focus around the crew members of the Endurance on their 1914 expedition to Antarctica.
- Maths – Our learning will focus around shape and measurement, which involves us looking at angles, translations, reflections, solving problems and time.
- Science – The main focus in this area will be looking at lifecycles of animals (including humans) and plants.
- Topic – We are learning about the world we live in with our Geography topic area this term with it entitled ‘Is there enough for everyone?‘. The lessons will involve studies about climate and biomes around the world. There will also be Design & Technology incorporated into this with the children making their own miniature biomes.
- PE – Our class will be focusing on the skills and knowledge involved in playing a game of cricket.
- During the term the children will also be learning in French, RE, PSHE, Music and Computing
PE will be on Tuesday afternoon each week and it is expected that children have their kit in school every week for this day, with trainers suitable for outdoor and indoor use. Homework will be given each week in Year 5. Maths and English will be given out on a Monday with one due back in by the Wednesday and the other due back in by Friday. It is up to the children which one they would like to hand in which day. It is a minimum expectation that children read to an adult at home at least 3 times a week.
Below are some pictures from our Viking visitor on Tuesday 20th February 2018 as part of our topic: